Sunday 26 June 2016

Porpoises In The Minch

Heading back home and we took the 7am CalMac ferry from Stornaway to Ullapool. This involved getting to Stornaway for 6am, which meant leaving Callanish at 5.30am and so on. Luckily, I was wide awake as, about 40 mins into the 2 1/2hr journey the sea out to the side of the boat began boiling, as at least a couple of dozen porpoises popped out of the water. The display must've lasted at least 30 seconds - long enough for me to get my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, get the camera fired up and take THIS picture.


So, yeah. At this point I should point out that, the reason that most of my pics are of plants is that they have the advantage of staying the heck still. Animal pics have a major disadvantage from this point of view. Still, the sea was as glassy smooth as this for the entire crossing and on the right of the pic is the nice, wide window of the 'Loch Seaforth' that gave us such a panoramic view.

Using the magic of modern digital technology, I managed to enlarge the pic so you can see that it is indeed a breeching porpoise and not a bouy or a bit of flotsam.


I'm afraid that you'll have to believe me when I say that this was the tail end of the entire sea being full of porpoises doing just this.

And then, just as quickly, they were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment